What Are Your Favorite Utilities?

September 11, 2010

Each Saturday I tell you about a piece of software, large or small, that I really like. This week I want to turn the tables and ask you to tell me about some of your favorite software that I haven’t covered. Please post your favorites as a comment rather than e-mailing me so that all readers can hear about it. I’ll look over the suggestions you post and cover some of them in future posts.

Post Discussion

8 Comments

1. Richard

Lately I have been singing the praise of our document management software. It has saved us thousands of hours of filing, searching, and many times never finding, documents in our business. Even for a home user with machine manuals, bank statements, financial and health records, magazine articles, etc. it can make you so paperwork organized you can’t imagine life without it.

DocuXplorer is state-of-the-art document management software designed to secure and manage the life cycle of documents, records, images, email, faxes, and any other type of paper or electronic files from a single desktop screen. The key to DocuXplorer’s great success is how easy it is to use for any size business.

2. Danny

One of the utilities that I find most handy is “Gadwin Print Screen”. Two versions available – free one and a Pro version. To quote them – “Gadwin PrintScreen is an easy to use utility that allows you to capture any portion of the screen, save it to a file, copy it to Windows clipboard, print it or e-mail it to a recipient of your choice.”

3. Desert Eric

Hands down … it’s SnagIt from TechSmith. No other capture program has so much power and its quality and ease of use is excellent.

4. Joe

I couldn’t live without Yankee Clipper, which extends the clipboard. I’ve tried others that purport to do the same, but none works as well. I just set it to load when I boot up, and I can always count on finding material I’ve copied I’m not sure how far back. I really depend on it.

5. Pepperink

#1: Second Copy (SecondCopy.com) copies any combination of folders and files to any location, at any interval (or manually).

Every two hours, for example, my Documents folder is synchronized with a copy on another hard drive.

Not expensive, and it’s been around a long time. Very user friendly.

#2: File Renamer (SherrodComputers.com). Renames files and folders in every conceivable combination. Not expensive. User friendly.

6. Kip

Here’s 2 programs that I have got excited about lately one is soluto for a start up manager and the other is software informer for keeping all up to speed. They are free which makes them even better.

7. MadDog

I’ve used IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/) for years, mostly for its batch handling capabilities, but it is also a handy viewer for a lot of less-than-common file types. It has a lot of other functionality (screen shots, basic raster edits, & more) and all in less than 2 mb.

8. almorris

By FAR the best tracing program is called Vector Magic which beats Corel, Illustrator and the many other tracing programs I have tried. You get FAR more accurate results and can be tailored in so many ways you will never use another tracing program. You can use the online version for a small price, but I shelled out the money for the standalone desktop edition and it paid for itself after 5 tracings! The web site is:
    A MUST SEE

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like…

IDrive Cloud Backup

Use IDrive to Safely Backup Your Data to the Cloud

I truly hope everyone knows the importance of backup and you have plans in place to backup your data on a regular basis. Sadly I realize that while everyone claims they should do it, you might not do it often enough or maybe not at all. Today...

Foster D. Coburn III

Foster D. Coburn III is author of 13 best-selling books on CorelDRAW and has been a contributor to numerous technology and graphics-related magazines. Foster has taken many projects, including this Web site, from the early design stage through to a finished piece. He has been a featured speaker at many graphics conferences. His first Web site was built in 1995 and he has been working exclusively in WordPress since 2013.