Corel has announced that the first update to CorelDRAW X6 will be released this week. An exact time has not been announced and I’ll be sure to send a follow-up post when it is available for download. One thing they have clarified is that going forward the term “service pack” will not be used and the word “update” will take its place.
Here is a list of some of the fixes that will be included:
- When bitmaps are edited in Corel PHOTO-PAINT, their horizontal and vertical resolution is preserved.
- Files from CorelDRAW X5 that contain monotone bitmaps will open properly in CorelDRAW X6.
- The dpi of imported JPGs originally created in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop is properly displayed.
- You will be able to create color harmonies from objects with mesh fills.
- Overall performance improvements when opening & saving files.
- You can press Enter to apply transformations from the Transformations Docker.
- The Transformations Docker displays object size and position correctly when you open it with an object selected.
- All color separations are printed when a PostScript printer is used.
- Unfilled text with an outline can be printed and exported to an EPS file.
- Using a TrueType font to type Arabic text no longer results in corrupted characters.
- Range kerning is applied correctly in relation to the insertion cursor.
- You can view and access available fonts from the Font list box after editing text, and then saving, and opening documents.
- Pasted Asian text preserves the original font size and font type when the Maintain Fonts and Formatting option is selected.
- Fill color and outline color are preserved when copying and pasting text.
- Contour steps are no longer created in the CMYK color mode in RGB objects or documents.
- The Contour Docker and contour controls on the Property Bar retain the last used values.
- Converting to bitmap in PowerClip edit mode does not leave unwanted traces from the PowerClip container.
- In CorelDRAW, various instability issues were addressed in areas such as opening files, changing the units of measure, importing PDF and SVG files, deleting pages in Page Sorter view, printing and exporting Asian text, and more.
- In Corel PHOTO-PAINT, instability issues were addressed in features such as undoing actions in Paint-on-Mask mode and using the Clone from Saved brush.
They have also said that going forward there will be a “Premium” offering that will give you early access to new features and content. Those who have already purchased CorelDRAW X6 will get access to the new features at no extra cost. Below is a list of some what what will be included with CorelDRAW X6.1.
- Align and Distribute Docker: This new Docker replaces the original Align and Distribute dialog box, letting you access all options from one convenient location.
- Color Styles Docker: View, arrange and edit color styles and color harmonies even more easily.
- Scanning: Native support for Scanning using Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) v 2.0, including support for 64-bit multi-area scanning, Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) and more.
- Enhanced Photoshop plug-in support: Support for the latest version of the Photoshop plug-in SDK, which means that Corel PHOTO-PAINT will be compatible with many more Photoshop plug-ins than ever before.
- Quick Pan: In Corel PHOTO-PAINT, you can now use the Quick Pan mode to switch from any active tool to the Pan tool, just like in CorelDRAW X6 (middle-mouse button)
- OpenType support for Asian text: Now you can apply advanced OpenType typography features to Asian text.
- Styles and typography support through Visual Basic for Applications / Visual Studio for Applications: You will now be able to access the X6 introduced style and advanced typography features through automation when developing macros and add-ons for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite.
If you have not already purchased CorelDRAW X6, make sure to get your copy as soon as possible. Corel has not yet announced the cost of the “Premium” offering and it may cost more. Remember, those who have purchased and registered their copy before the update is released will get the “Premium” offering at no extra charge.