CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 Hardware and System Requirements

March 27, 2014

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 BoxCorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 has been released and many of you want to know if it will run on your computer. In this post I’ll list the official hardware requirements for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 as well as suggestions beyond the requirements. If you have any questions not answered in this post, please post as a comment to the blog or on the Graphics Unleashed Facebook page. Do not e-mail me directly! By posting your questions as a comment, I can respond to your comment with an answer for everyone.

Let’s first look at the system requirements that Corel has listed for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7.

• Microsoft® Windows® 8 (32-bit or 64-bit editions), Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit editions), all with latest service packs installed
    • Note that Windows XP is not supported as it is more than ten years old. You need to update to Windows 7 or 8 as we have suggested to you in Migrate Your Operating System to 64-bit. In order to run the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW X7, you do need to have a 64-bit operating system.
  • Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 1 GB hard disk space (for installation without content). Up to 6GB needed to install extra content
  • Mouse, tablet or multi-touch screen
  • 1024 x 768 screen resolution (768 x 1024 on a Tablet PC)
  • DVD drive
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8 or higher
  • Internet connection required for Membership and Subscription services, installing updates and access to some features, including the Content Exchange, QR code tools and ConceptShare

Let’s start with the biggest hardware requirement. You need a PC. If you have a Mac, you will need to install Windows on it to run CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7. Mac users, I am simply the messenger so please don’t shoot me as I have nothing to do with this decision. The reasons Why You Shouldn’t Expect a Mac Version of CorelDRAW were covered a few years ago. A follow-up to that can be found at Native Mac Version of CorelDRAW Coming? Don’t Expect It! If you do run it on a Mac, Corel will not officially support it. That said, it does seem to work quite well using Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows.

As I said, you must have Windows. Specifically it will run on Windows 7 and Windows 8. The 32-bit version of CorelDRAW X7 will work on both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors of Windows. As mentioned earlier, you need a 64-bit operating system to run the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW. Corel does specify you need all of the latest service packs for Windows. While it isn’t spelled out, CorelDRAW does require the latest release of the .NET services which are part of more recent service packs.

While there is a 64-bit version of CorelDRAW and Corel PHOTO-PAINT, many users will find that using the 32-bit version is a better choice. Read Is the 64-Bit Version of CorelDRAW X6 Right For You? to understand why you may want to install the 32-bit version. If you are unsure how to install the 32-bit version, read Finding and Installing 32-Bit CorelDRAW X6. While both of those posts specifically address CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, the information is still valid for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7.

Next up is the processor. I’m guessing most of your couldn’t name what processor you have so this requirement is a bit of a mystery to you. Let’s forget the processors listed and let’s talk about the real requirement. You must have a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set. If you don’t, you won’t even be allowed to install CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7. I told you how to find out if you had SSE2 in a post a few years ago on the CPU-Z Processor Information Utility. Just so you know, these instructions have been available in processors for nine years or more. Why is this a requirement? I’ll explain.

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 has support for multiple threads. This means a feature can take advantage of multi-core processors or even hyperthreaded processors to perform a function much faster. A perfect example is the Save feature. As soon as you start saving a file, you can immediately start doing other things as the save is performed in the background. How many times in the past have you sat there staring at the screen waiting for a file to finish saving? I know it happened way too often for me. My computer (described in detail) has four cores each of which can run two separate threads. When CorelDRAW saves, it can now split the load in eight ways. Multi-threading was added in CorelDRAW X5 and the number of functions that use multiple threads has been expanded in CorelDRAW X6 and CorelDRAW X7. As of this writing, you may want to consider the LGA 1150 Processor Is The Heart of a Computer should you be in the market for a new machine.

Next up, it says 2 GB of RAM is required. Sorry, that number is unrealistic. While that might technically be the minimum, I think you need a minimum of 4 GB to even consider using any graphics software these days. Personally I’d recommend any new computer to have a 64-bit operating system and as much memory as possible. For more on this subject, read my post Memory and CorelDRAW. In that post, you’ll notice I talk about the useless Memory setting in CorelDRAW X4. It was removed in CorelDRAW X5 and a few users were concerned that it wasn’t there. As I’ve said many times, it didn’t do anything! With the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW, I’d suggest 8 GB of RAM to be the absolute minimum and I’d suggest you install as much memory as your computer will allow. The 64-bit version can use as much of the memory as needed and isn’t limited to 2 GB like 32-bit software. Read Fill Up Your Screaming Fast Computer With RAM for more details. That said, very few of you will be creating CorelDRAW files anywhere near 2 GB in size! Those who are, probably need to look at ways of optimizing their files.

As we move down the list, the requirements say you need a minimum of 1 GB of hard drive space. If you buy the boxed version, the full install takes around 7 GB of space. So while you can skimp, I sure hope you have a lot more space available! If you want a really fast hard drive, make sure to read Speed Up Your Computer With OCZ Vector 150 SSD Hard Drive and pair it with Seagate Barracuda 3TB Hard Drive.

You have to be able to point, so you need a mouse, tablet or multi-touch screen. We highly recommend you use a Wacom tablet! Corel added touch support in CorelDRAW X5 though this is something very few users will be using as only a small percentage of computers have touch support. You must have a DVD drive as the boxed version includes the software on a DVD. While the downloaded version does not require a DVD drive, you’ll find it much more time consuming to get all the clipart, fonts and other content supplied on the DVD.

The last requirement is Internet Explorer 8 and honestly this is something Corel shouldn’t require. Many users prefer other browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera. Yet CorelDRAW relies upon Internet Explorer to load any Web content. If you must use the newer versions of Internet Explorer, please read Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Is Evil and How To Fix It!

Upgrade Eligibility: To purchase the upgrade version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7, you must own a previous licensed version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4, X5 or X6 or CorelDRAW® Premium Suite X5. Please note that upgrade eligibility excludes Academic, Home and Student, OEM and Not for Resale (NFR) versions.

Some users prefer to wait for the Education Edition as it is typically a lower price. Keep in mind that it is illegal to use it for paying work. Also, it often leaves out important features such as support for macros. It is not eligible for upgrade pricing. In saving a few bucks up front, it can cost you a lot more in the long run.

Post Discussion

31 Comments

1. Anonymous

Hi I’ve tried installing X7 on a Win7 32 system. It seems to install but when I open it and select “Register later” it just goes away and never opens.

2. Anonymous

I’m so confused over processors and graphics cards. Could you please tell me if this computer can run CorelDrawX7 efficiently? PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M460 @2.53GHz, RAM: 6 GB, GRAPHICS: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, GAMING GRAPHICS: 3770 MB Total Available Graphics Memory, HARD DISK: 6 GB It is a Dell Inspiron N7010 64-Bit System. I’ve been running X5 on it, but this summer it started crashing randomly…. After reading the above I see I could use more RAM – any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Susan

• Alex

the hardware that you have is more than enough to run X7
      maybe you need to reinstall it again

3. Foster D. Coburn III

Susan, whether it can run efficiently is a fairly subjective measure. If you felt the machine was doing this until recently then the specs may be fine. Yes, more RAM wouldn’t hurt. But the real problem is the crashing and you need to get that resolved. You may have installed something that is causing the crashing, this can often be malware or spyware. It could be a bad driver. Or possibly there is an issue with your hardware. There just isn’t any simple answer. But solve the crashing problem and I think you’ll be happy with the computer.

4. Anonymous

Thank you Foster. I appreciate your quick response and helpful advice. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me…LOL Sincerely, Susan

5. Scott Snider

Has anyone reported receiving a bad upgrade DVD? I set aside an hour to do some invoices today hoping to do the Corel X7 upgrade (from X6) in the background but my PC isn’t recognizing the DVD they sent me. Strange.

6. Foster D. Coburn III

Has it ever been reported? I’m guessing a small handful of bad discs get out there. But since Corel left all of the extra goodies off the DVD, you can download and get the exact same installer.

7. Scott Snider

ahh, that was my concern, that I’d need to grab something off the DVD at a later date but if all the goodies are only available through the Corel account while signed in then I’ll just do the online install and use my DVD’s serial #. Please let me know if I’ve assumed wrong! Thx

8. Foster D. Coburn III

You are correct that Corel forces you to login in to download even a single piece of clipart or a single font. They are nowhere to be found on the DVD.

9. Lorrie

Do you have to by the DVD – there is no way to purchase and download from and app store?

10. Jennifer

What Smartphones support or carry this app?

• Foster D. Coburn III

None, we suggest you read the requirements again. You must have a computer running Windows.

11. rakesh

Hi
    I have installed coral draw x7 in windows 7 64 bit but didn’t working properly
    while i m CDR x4 files open in CDRx7 then showing me font missing but I see those font already installed in bit navigator but also showing me font missing and problem CDRX4 like vignat colour change in CDRX7

what to do
    please help me ?

12. Maricor Montelibano

Hello Foster! I’ve been using coreldrawx7 for 4 years, we have a tshirt printing business and i’m the one who does the lay-outing…and I would like to ask if corel is suited in laptop?what specs does in need?thank you!

• Foster D. Coburn III

Yes, I use it on a laptop on a regular basis. The required specs are the same for desktop and laptop.

13. Per Kristiansen

Hello Foster, hope you can answer me:

In our company we have three similar Lenovo Thinkstation P500 computers having problems running CorelDraw Graphics Suite X7 /64-bit.
    The program executes slowly, and sometimes stops working (no special error message).
    The drawings is saved on local disc, and the problem occur often.

Technical specification, Lenovo P500:
    Intel Xenon CPU E5-1607 v3. 3.10GHz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 3.0GB
    Memory: 24GB
    Enough free disk space: (approx. 200GB)

Windows 7 /64-bit OS.

Do you see any non-compatible items, or have an idea what the problem can bee?
    Grateful for an answer/solution to this, it is frustrating.

Best regards,
    Per Kristiansen

• Foster D. Coburn III

No, you should contact Corel.

14. Per Kristiansen

Hello Foster, hope you can answer me:

The drawings is saved on local disc, and the problem occur often.

Technical specification, Lenovo P500:
    Intel Xenon CPU E5-1607 v3. 3.10GHz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 3.0GB
    Memory: 24GB
    Enough free disk space (approx. 200GB)

Windows 7 /64-bit OS.

Do you see any non-compatible items, or have an idea what the problem can bee?
    Grateful for an answer/solution to this, it is frustrating.

Best regards,
    Per Kristiansen

15. Nida Khan

Will Corel Draw Graphics Suite X7 run on window 10??

• Foster D. Coburn III

16. Per Kristiansen

Regarding processor requirements for Corel Draw X7:
    Is this supported?
    Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v3 @ 3.10GHz

best regards,
    Per Kristiansen

• Foster D. Coburn III

I can’t give you a definitive answer, but you are more than welcome to use the CPU-Z utility described in the post to find out.

17. LISA

i have corel draw x 4 on a windows xp computer and recently purchased a new computer and loaded corel draw x 7
    My question is I am having trouble transfering my X4 files and loading them in corel draw x 7 Is this something that
    wont work Is corel draw 7 not compatible with x4 ?

• Foster D. Coburn III

CorelDRAW X7 can read CorelDRAW X4 files just fine. CorelDRAW 7 can NOT read CorelDRAW X4 files as it came many years before X4 existed.

18. Per Kristiansen

Is it recommended to run CorelDraw X7 with this processor?
    Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v3 @ 3.10GHz.
    All other requirements is okay.

The program installs fine and works, but users reported program to be slow in some copy and work operations.

best regards,
    Per Kristiansen

• Foster D. Coburn III

The faster the processor, the faster the software. I have no personal experience with the processor so can’t give you a definitive answer.

19. Per Kristiansen

CorelDraw X7 (2017) stopped working again, this has happend on this pc two times earlier too.
    Each time we have to rename Corel Directory in users profile directory here:
    C:\Users\”username”\AppData\Roaming

After that it is possible to start CorelDrwa again.

What is causing this problem?

regards,
    Per Kristiansen

20. Per Kristiansen

Hello,
    it is still an isssue when using Intel Xeon processor, can someone tell me if this processor is supported by CorelDraw?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Will Coreldraw X7 Work With Windows 10 - Corel Draw Tutor - […] CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 Hardware and System Requirements […]
  2. Aplikasi Penunjang Kerja Arsitek | Komputer Arsitektur - […] CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7 Hardware and System Requirements […]

Submit a Comment