Corel announced the release of the latest version of their Painter software a few days ago. While it does include some of image editing features found in software such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel PHOTO-PAINT, its strength lies in the natural media painting tools. If you want to get the most from Corel Painter, you really want to be using a Wacom graphics tablet. The whole family of tablets was discussed in Wacom Introduces New Lines of Graphics Tablets and a Tablet Computer. The press release is below with details on the new version as well as links to download the trial or purchase from Corel.
New Corel® Painter® 2015 Reaches New Levels of Innovation with Particle Brushes
Latest Release Delivers on Artists- Top Requests with Performance Enhancement and a Mobile App
OTTAWA – August 12, 2014 – Corel today released Painter 2015, the latest version of its digital art software package. Known as the world’s most realistic digital paint program, Painter 2015 builds on this reputation with revolutionary Particles Brushes, 64-bit support for Mac and the new Painter Mobile app for Android. Artists can enjoy other new features that will enhance their workflow, such as Real-Time Stylus support, Custom User Interface Palette Arrangements and improved cross-platform performance, making the program 40 percent faster than previous versions.
“The new revolutionary Particle Brushes will change the digital art landscape,” said Chris Pierce, Product Manager, Corel Painter. “Painter 2015 makes it easy for artists to create effects unlike anything they have seen before, with a simple brush stroke. With the improved stability and enhanced performance, artists can focus on their creative process, and forget about the technology.”
New and Enhanced Features:
Painter has become the most trusted Natural-Media® software application among artists all over the world. Whether it’s traditional art, illustration or photo art, Painter delivers the tools and functionality that artists need to create stunning works of art. Some of the new and enhanced features of Painter 2015 include:
- NEW Particle Brushes: Uses the laws of physics to create, with a simple brush stroke, unique effects never created before
- NEW 64-Bit Support for Mac: Delivers major performance enhancements and options for Mac users
- NEW Jitter Smoothing: Gives brushstrokes a more organic look by delivering natural-looking space and flow
- ENHANCED Cross-Platform Performance: Increases speed on both Mac and PC; brushes are up to six times faster and overall performance is 40 percent faster than in previous versions
- NEW Custom User Interface Palette Arrangements: Jump-starts the artist’s workflow by displaying only relevant palettes and tools based on a specific genre of art (traditional art, photo art, etc.)
- NEW Real-Time Stylus & Windows Tablet PC Support: Allows artists to create on the go by combining their Tablet PC with Windows Real-Time Stylus; this is made possible by Intel’s 2 in 1 technology
- ENHANCED Brush Tracking: Adapts the program to the artist’s specific style by applying the appropriate settings for individual pressure and velocity
Pricing and Availability
Painter 2015 is available in English, German, French, Chinese Traditional and Japanese. It can be downloaded at PainterArtist.com. Box versions will begin shipping on August 26, 2014. Owners of Painter 7 or higher are eligible for upgrade pricing. In North America, the full version is available for $429 (USD and CAD) and the upgrade is available for $229 (USD and CAD). Commercial and volume licenses are also available.
Painter Mobile App
In addition to Painter 2015, the new Painter Mobile App for Android is also available today. With more than 70 Painter brushes, it allows artists to create and edit their artwork wherever they may be, including en plein air. They can import artwork directly into Painter 2015 or export using formats such as JPEG, PNG or PSD. Users can download a free version or a fuller featured version for $4.99 (USD and CAD) from the Google Play Store.