Last year I wrote a tech gift guide with 22 products selling for under $30. This year I didn’t limit the price to $30 and so the products listed below could be under $5 and could be much more expensive. I will list the prices shown on Amazon at the time this post was written. Since I don’t control Amazon, the prices you see maybe higher or lower than what I’ve listed.
- I wrote about the Amazon Echo in a July post titled Amazon Echo Responds to Your Commands. From what I’ve heard, it is one of the hottest gifts this holiday season. It is currently selling on Amazon for $179.99.
- If you are looking for a tablet, the Amazon Fire HDX 8.9 is a good choice. I’ve linked to the latest version with 64GB of RAM that is currently selling for $429.99 on Amazon. But if you get to that page, you’ll see links to lower-priced refurbished or previous versions of the tablet that may perfectly fit your needs.
- There is a 7″ Amazon Fire tablet that is currently selling for only $49.99 if you simply want a tablet that doesn’t break the bank.
Cool Electronic Gadgets
- I read recently that you should update your WiFi router every time you update your smartphone. Routers do degrade over time and lose speed. One of the best routers today is the Google OnHub Router and I wrote about it in August in the Google OnHub WiFi Router and Smart Home Hub post. It is currently selling for $199.99 on Amazon.
- One of the selling features of the Google OnHub Router is working very well with the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Nest Cam Security Camera. Currently the 3rd generation of the thermostat is selling for $249 on Amazon and the latest version of the security camera is selling for $187.25 on Amazon.
- For those looking for a less expensive WiFi Router, check out the NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router. I wrote about it in August in the Netgear N600 WiFi Router Good Value Choice post. It is currently selling for $63.99 on Amazon.
- Another cool electronic product for the home is the Ring Video Doorbell. I wrote about it in the Who’s at the Door? Ring Video Doorbell Alerts You post back in August. It is currently selling for $199 on Amazon.
- If I used all my remotes, I’d have 5-6 of them sitting in front of me with several for devices that I don’t often use. The Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control allows you to combine everything into a single remote. It is currently selling for $349.99 on Amazon.
- Want a drone of your own? The Parrot Airborne Cargo MiniDrone includes an embedded camera and is currently selling for $99.99 on Amazon.
- I used to always wear a watch. Now that my smartphone tells me the time and lots of other valuable information, I go without a watch. But the Samsung Gear S2 Smartwatch has me intrigued. The “Classic” version is currently selling on Amazon for $327.99. Other variations sell for less.
- Another option for your wrist is the Fitbit Surge Fitness Superwatch. It tells you the time and also tracks health and fitness information. It is currently selling on Amazon for $199.89.
Useful Cables and Chargers
- Loyal readers know I write often about USB cables for charging your devices. You might need one for a newer iPhone or iPad that meets MiFi certification. It is currently selling for $7.99 each on Amazon. I can never get enough of the USB to micro USB cables and a 2-pack is currently selling for $6.90 on Amazon.
- No vehicle should be without a dual port USB car charger. It is currently selling for $7.49 on Amazon and would be an awesome stocking stuffer.
- I love powerbars that include USB ports so I can plug in electrical stuff and USB charging cables. The Belkin SurgePlus Mini Travel Swivel Charger is something that always travels with me and it is currently selling for $14.99 on Amazon. I also have a couple of Belkin 6-Outlet Wall Mount Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports in my house. It is currently selling for $15.99 on Amazon.
- If you need to connect video devices, you need HDMI cables. Get a 2-pack of HDMI cables that is currently selling for $8.49 on Amazon.
- I wrote about the GoPro Hero+ action camera in GoPro Hero+ Delivers Powerful Action Video at Great Price. Amazon isn’t directly showing the price right now because they aren’t allowed to advertise it below the $199 standard price. But you’ll find the bundle is currently selling around $20 less than that.
- Nobody can ever have enough flash drives. That’s why a 5-pack of inexpensive 8 GB drives is indispensable. The pack is currently selling for $13.50 on Amazon.
- Working on your laptop in the dark? A portable USB light may be just what you need. A dimmable option is currently selling for $9.99 on Amazon.
- Of course no computer user should be without a good Wacom tablet. Go back and read New Wacom Intuos Tablets Give Designers Creativity for a variety of options.
Useful Household Items
- Have you ever been walking around the house in the dark at night and stubbed your toe? That’s where a battery-powered motion sensor light may come in handy. There is a nice wall sconce currently selling on Amazon for $14.99 that fits the bill.
- Here in the desert, pack rats are a major problem. They spread disease and destroy anything they can. I love the Raticator I got last winter as it is like the electric chair for pesky rodents. It is currently selling for $54.95 on Amazon and it will help you get rid of varmints!
- At the end of a long day of designing, how about some wine? First, you may need to get the bottle cold and the Waring Pro Chiller will get it done for you. It is currently selling for $69 on Amazon.
- Next you have to get the bottle open and the Waring Pro Cordless Wine Opener makes it as easy as pushing a button. It is currently selling for $31.99 on Amazon.
- Now that the bottle is chilled and opened, you need to aerate it to bring out the flavor. The Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator does a great job and it is currently selling for $22.50 on Amazon.
Whew, after this long list of gifts, I think I may need a glass of wine!