CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 Hardware and System Requirements

March 15, 2016

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 has been released and many of you want to know if it will run on your computer. In this post I’ll list the official hardware requirements for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 as well as suggestions beyond the requirements. If you have any questions not answered in this post, please post as a comment to the blog or on the Graphics Unleashed Facebook page. Do not e-mail me directly! By posting your questions as a comment, I can respond to your comment with an answer for everyone.

Let’s first look at the system requirements that Corel has listed for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8.

• Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, in 32-bit or 64-bit, all with latest Updates and Service Pack
    • Note that Windows XP is not supported as it is more than twelve years old. You need to update to Windows 7 or newer as we have suggested to you in Migrate Your Operating System to 64-bit. In order to run the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW X8, you do need to have a 64-bit operating system.
  • Intel Core i3/5/7 or AMD Athlon 64
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 1 GB hard disk space (for installation without content). Up to 6GB needed to install extra content
  • Multi-touch screen, mouse or tablet
  • 1280 x 720 screen resolution at 100% (96 dpi)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 11 or higher
  • Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6
  • Internet connection required to sign in to authenticate CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, receive performance and stability updates, access online content, and use some features, such as QR Codes or the Content Exchange. You can use CorelDRAW Graphics Suite offline provided you connect to the Internet at least once a month so that we can validate your software license.
  • DVD drive (only if you purchase on DVD)

Let’s start with the biggest hardware requirement. You need a PC. If you have a Mac, you will need to install Windows on it to run CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8. Mac users, I am simply the messenger so please don’t shoot me as I have nothing to do with this decision. The reasons Why You Shouldn’t Expect a Mac Version of CorelDRAW were covered a few years ago. A follow-up to that can be found at Native Mac Version of CorelDRAW Coming? Don’t Expect It! If you do run it on a Mac, Corel will not officially support it. That said, it does seem to work quite well using Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop to run Windows.

As I said, you must have Windows. Specifically it will run on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. The 32-bit version of CorelDRAW X8 will work on both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors of Windows. As mentioned earlier, you need a 64-bit operating system to run the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW. Corel does specify you need all of the latest service packs for Windows.

While there is a 64-bit version of CorelDRAW and Corel PHOTO-PAINT, many users will find that using the 32-bit version is a better choice! Read Is the 64-Bit Version of CorelDRAW X6 Right For You? to understand why you may want to install the 32-bit version. If you are unsure how to install the 32-bit version, read Finding and Installing 32-Bit CorelDRAW X6. While both of those posts specifically address CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, the information is still valid for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8.

Next up is the processor. I’m guessing most of your couldn’t name what processor you have so this requirement is a bit of a mystery to you. Let’s forget the processors listed and let’s talk about the real requirement. You must have a processor that supports the SSE2 instruction set. If you don’t, you won’t even be allowed to install CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8. I told you how to find out if you had SSE2 in a post a few years ago on the CPU-Z Processor Information Utility. Just so you know, these instructions have been available in processors for more than a decade. Why is this a requirement? I’ll explain.

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8 has support for multiple threads. This means a feature can take advantage of multi-core processors or even hyperthreaded processors to perform a function much faster. A perfect example is the Save feature. As soon as you start saving a file, you can immediately start doing other things as the save is performed in the background. How many times in the past have you sat there staring at the screen waiting for a file to finish saving? I know it happened way too often for me. My computer has four cores each of which can run two separate threads. When CorelDRAW saves, it can now split the load in eight ways. Multi-threading was added in CorelDRAW X5 and the number of functions that use multiple threads has been expanded in CorelDRAW X6, CorelDRAW X7 and CorelDRAW X8. Please check out our Hump Day Hardware posts for the latest suggested on processors and other hardware.

Next up, it says 2 GB of RAM is required. Sorry, that number is unrealistic. While that might technically be the minimum, I think you need a minimum of 4 GB to even consider using any graphics software these days. Personally I’d recommend any new computer to have a 64-bit operating system and as much memory as possible. For more on this subject, read my post Memory and CorelDRAW. In that post, you’ll notice I talk about the useless Memory setting in CorelDRAW X4. It was removed in CorelDRAW X5 and a few users were concerned that it wasn’t there. As I’ve said many times, it didn’t do anything! With the 64-bit version of CorelDRAW, I’d suggest 8 GB of RAM to be the absolute minimum and I’d suggest you install as much memory as your computer will allow. The 64-bit version of Windows can use as much of the memory as needed and isn’t limited to 2 GB like 32-bit software. Read Fill Up Your Screaming Fast Computer With RAM for more details. That said, very few of you will be creating CorelDRAW files anywhere near 2 GB in size! Those who are, probably need to look at ways of optimizing their files.

As we move down the list, the requirements say you need a minimum of 1 GB of hard drive space. So while you can skimp with such a small amount of space, I sure hope you have a lot more space available!

You have to be able to point, so you need a mouse, tablet or multi-touch screen. We highly recommend you use a Wacom tablet! Corel added touch support in CorelDRAW X5 though this is something very few users will be using as only a small percentage of computers have touch support. You must have a DVD drive to install the boxed version as the software is supplied on a DVD.

The last requirement is Internet Explorer 11 and honestly this is something Corel shouldn’t require. Many users prefer other browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera. Yet CorelDRAW relies upon Internet Explorer to load any Web content. If you must use the newer versions of Internet Explorer, please read Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Is Evil and How To Fix It!

Upgrade Eligibility: To purchase the upgrade version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X8, you must own a previous licensed version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite or CorelDRAW® Premium Suite. Please note that upgrade eligibility excludes Academic, Home and Student, OEM and Not for Resale (NFR) versions.

Some users prefer to wait for the Education Edition as it is typically a lower price. Keep in mind that it is illegal to use it for paying work. Also, it often leaves out important features such as support for macros. It is not eligible for upgrade pricing. In saving a few bucks up front, it can cost you a lot more in the long run.

Post Discussion

49 Comments

1. DAS333

Is it requisite to have a dedicated graphics card with X8? Buying new laptop, struggling to make right choice.

• Foster D. Coburn III

No, it has never been required. But having a good graphics “card” (including built in to motherboard) is important to get the best results. Many laptops have good graphics cards as an option.

2. DAS333

Chat with Corel, looks like they are thinking and maybe working on the MAC vs Corel issue.

(05:27:43 AM) Kat: We are in a process of having our software compatible with all platforms though it takes a lot of testing to do so. We will inform you via email if any changes made with its compatibility. AS of now, it is not for MAC.

• Foster D. Coburn III

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting on that Mac version.

• DAS333

I don’t have a MAC, but now using a borrowed one when my Dell, once again, crashed and burned. Having a HARD time finding a robust laptop for X8 and my crazy multitasking habit. I just can’t find an i7 quad, 16gig, etc. When I do there are massive problems with it.Dell XPS is out of the question, seems to be a flawed machine. What say you?

• Ann

Know the XPS15 well. The Corel guru not updating. Very fascinating.I have x5 and felt I should upgrade, but if “THE guy” does not upgrade maybe I should listen to his wisdom. Could I bother you with the difference in the X5 and X6? What advances should I expect? I would expect I would have to reload Windows 7 to use it.

• Foster D. Coburn III

I have documented differences on the blog and in my training DVDs. I have Windows 10 on my XPS15 and CorelDRAW X6 runs great.

3. Cris P

I agree that 2GB ram is unrealistic. I have 6GB ram, is it good enough? will th x8 it run smooth?

• Foster D. Coburn III

Everyone has their own definition of “run smooth”. I don’t think CorelDRAW X8 runs smooth on any hardware. It may be acceptable to you.

4. Tracy

Is X7 a preferred version over X8? Also, will X7 run smoothly on Windows 10? Recently purchased HP Envy laptop i7, dual core, 16GB ram, 1T HD, Windows 10.

• Foster D. Coburn III

I prefer CorelDRAW X6 as my primary tool.

5. Dennis Sanner

Just installed CorelDRAW X8. Harddrive has 1.5GB of X5 Extra Content. Will X8 use those resources or should I remove them and regain the space?

• Foster D. Coburn III

If you are going to use the clipart and photos, keep it. If you aren’t going to use it, delete it. It is artwork, any newer version can use it.

6. Rishi

i have a dual core processor . Will it work??

• Foster D. Coburn III

Please read the detailed information in the post about processor. It explains how to test your processor. There is no generic answer for “dual core processor.”

7. jeff

I have upgraded to X8 from X5. It installed correctly (64bit) but is supper super slow and uses 99%cpu (2.3mhtz). I have noticed that it didn’t delete the old X5 could this be the issue for the speed (it basically freezes). I do not want to delete X5 as I use this program daily and am frightened that I will not get X8 to work.My laptop has heaps of space 8G Ram and is running I5 processor

• Foster D. Coburn III

Having a previous version installed has absolutely nothing to do with the current version. We strongly recommend that you install the 32-bit version, rather than the 64-bit version (please read post for this info). 8GB is now considered the minimum. While it is more than enough to run CorelDRAW and Windows, it may not be enough if a number of other programs are running.

• Linus

Where can I find a 32-bit downloader for CorelDRAW X8?

PS: I already posted the same question yesterday, but somehow it did not get through?

• Foster D. Coburn III

We haven’t looked for the 32-bit CorelDRAW X8 installer for a while, but last time we looked it wasn’t available. Our only suggestion is to contact Corel Corporation to request it.

• Foster D. Coburn III

The post in your link was specifically written about CorelDRAW X6. This is an issue you’ll have to ask Corel Corporation. It is quite clear they want to make it difficult for users to use the 32-bit version. In our office, we still use CorelDRAW X6 (32-bit) as we can’t find any reason to use the newer versions even though we have them installed.

8. J

Where can I still purchase coreldraw x6 Sounds like you are saying that is one of the better versions. I will be running my x3 and x4 files in the program, will they work okay in x6. Also would they work okay in x7 or x8. Thanks

• Foster D. Coburn III

CorelDRAW X6 is not officially for sale anywhere at this point. While you may find it somewhere, I would be extremely cautious as it could be pirated. Yes, it opens files from previous versions.

• J

so can i still get x7 and will those x3 and x4 files work on both x7 and x8
        Thanks for replying so quickly.

• Foster D. Coburn III

When a new version is released, the old versions are no longer sold other than a few strays left in inventory. New versions can open files from older versions.

9. Nat

É necessário placa de vídeo dedicada?

10. Simon Yee

Hi,
    Does it mean I can also use a workstation pc for coreldraw x8 or 2017?

• Foster D. Coburn III

I don’t understand the question. You can use both versions on the same computer or choose only one version to run on the computer.

11. abdelali fes

il est possible d’installer coreldraw x8 sur core 2 duo??

12. cedric

BONJOUR MON COREL DRAW X8 EST LONG A OUVRIR QUE FAIRE

13. Blaž

Hello,
    Do i need dedicated GPU or not? And which do you think will be sufficient.
    Ma build is:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
    250 SSD
    3 TB HD
    GPU? -> does COREL even use GPU for work, or it work entirely on CPU power?

• Foster D. Coburn III

Do you need a dedicated GPU? No. Is it a good idea? Yes. We have written about a number of graphics cards on this blog and I’d suggest you look at some of those we’ve recommended.

14. Yes Choong Yein

I am force to use a Dell workstation because of the massive amount of layers, and dimensions in Coreldraw x7

15. Josh Weems

I find that no matter how much RAM and processor speed I have, there are certain files that Corel just doesn’t handle well. I have clients send me files that have distressed looks and it seems that they always bog Corel down. What is causing this? Any recommendations? I can open the same file in Illustrator, and it doesn’t slow down a bit. I have been using Corel since 2000 and love it, but get frustrated with complex designs and Corel slowing down. It’s a click and wait thing with some of these files……

• Foster D. Coburn III

There is not a general answer without looking at specific files. If the file wasn’t created in CorelDRAW, it could be the conversion process. Or it simply wasn’t built efficiently to begin with.

16. sukhdev

Hi

i have i7 laptop with 4GB Graphic Card & 4GB Ram after that Corel Draw x8 is not working fast all thing response slowly, file open, file save, file export to JPEG etc..

Thanks..

• Foster D. Coburn III

4GB of RAM is very low, especially if you have even a few programs running.

17. gary

Hi Foster, I am trying to determine if Corel Draw will run on a Microsoft Surface Pro -Intel Core i5 / 256GB SSD / 8GB RAM.

I’ve looked in the past (probably on the 2 or 3) and they said it would not run due to graphic chip limitations.

Any input greatly appreciated.

• Foster D. Coburn III

I’m sure it will run, but I feel it is underpowered.

• gary

Meaning….it needs more RAM? or just the overall device and cpu? Thanks

• Foster D. Coburn III

Personally I would NEVER use CorelDRAW on a “tablet” computer. That’s my preference. What you listed has less RAM and less storage space than I’d recommend. But this is a very vague question and I’m also NOT a user of CorelDRAW X8.

18. Drew

I have windows 7 and tried to load cordeldraw 2018 free trial and it will not install

• Foster D. Coburn III

Windows 7 is not supported.

• Drew

ok well I dont have any installed what should I use for windows 7

• Foster D. Coburn III

You must upgrade to Windows 10. There is no available version of CorelDRAW for earlier versions of Windows.

19. Drew

but amazon has old versions of coreldraw

• Foster D. Coburn III

I can’t be more clear. You MUST upgrade to Windows 10.

20. Drew

ok i respect that, tho i dont completely understand when some even have windows 7 as a requirement ….but thank you very much i appreciate your advice

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.