Recently I was asked by a loyal reader about laptops I’d recommend. Keep in mind that I rarely pay attention to what is available except when I’m buying one for myself. I last upgraded my laptop in January 2016 and went with the Dell XPS 15. While Dell keeps the name the same, the model numbers and specs get upgraded each year.
My initial suggestion was to look at the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15. Then I noticed a new one was coming in May 2018. Below are a handful of links to stories about it.
- Dell XPS 15 makes play for MacBook Pro fans, starts at $999
- Dell XPS 15 is getting Intel’s new chip and a 1050 Ti GPU
- Dell’s updated XPS 15 could crush the MacBook Pro 15—again
- Dell just unveiled its most powerful XPS 15 laptop ever – and that’s not all
- Dell XPS 15 Gets Coffee Lake CPU Upgrade
If you are looking for the best budget laptop, this is probably not for you. But if you want a fast processor, good graphics performance in a smaller form factor then you’ll love it. My two year old version is still going very strong and I expect at least two to three more years out of it. So if you get the latest version with the most powerful components, it can serve you well for as long as five years.