Nook, gift card scams, ice cream hack, Omicron, Google Maps, prosthetic eye, tech fails, best iPhone, Get Back plus Tom and Jerry. While it was a fairly quiet week in the news, we’ve got some great information for you to peruse. Look through all the headlines and click to get the full story.
Loyal readers may remember years back when Pete McCormick and I taught CorelDRAW through our books, seminars and boot camps. Pete is still using CorelDRAW (and Corel PHOTO-PAINT) on a regular basis and I know how much he enjoys my weekly digest of the news. So I had to include For Pete’s Sake—Who Is Pete? for him. Yes Pete, we’re talking about you!
- Vissles LP85 keyboard review: A mechanical Magic Keyboard replacement
- Barnes & Noble releases its first Nook GlowLight e-reader in four years
- Scammers are destroying lives, one gift card fraud at a time. Here’s who’s fighting back
- The McDonald’s Ice Cream Machine Hacking Saga Has a New Twist
- Planned Parenthood data breach leaks patient records
- Which booster shot should I get? What to know about COVID vaccine mix and match
- US to restrict travel from South Africa, other countries due to new COVID variant
- Why Omicron quickly became a variant of concern
- New COVID variant: What is omicron, are vaccines effective, where has it spread?
- How COVID accelerated a shift that could put new cities at the forefront of American life
- This quick trick deletes your embarrassing Google search history for good
- Microsoft is testing a few ways to improve Windows 11’s Start menu
- 2 new Google Maps features you’ll want to use right now
- You can recycle your old laptops, phones, cameras and batteries for free. Here’s how
- Scientists used Mars’ ambient noise to map the planet’s subsurface layers
- Cryptocurrency mining in Kazakhstan is leading to power shortages
- Surviving a violent collision gives me new perspective on car safety tech
- Qualcomm Unveils the Snapdragon 8, Featuring World’s First 18-Bit ISP
- Patient receives the world’s first fully 3D-printed prosthetic eye
- Jack Dorsey took on Twitter’s biggest problems, but leaves plenty of challenges for his successor
- The biggest tech fails of 2021, from Facebook to Activision
- Starlink is reportedly testing its internet service for airplanes
- Why the [expletive] can’t we travel back in time?
- AT&T and Verizon agree to 5G power limits to resolve FAA safety concerns
- Best iPhone for 2021: Which of Apple’s 8 phones is right for you?
- A strange solution for getting missing iPhone notifications back
Each week we’ll share a meme that we find thought provoking or just plain funny.
- Get Back review: Watch the Beatles making magic in their final days
- Studying New Life in the Shadow of Venezuela’s Last Glacier
- Searching for the Limits of Life in Earth’s Most Extreme Environment
- Otter-ly Adorable Climate Change Warriors May Save California’s Coastal Ecosystems
- You won’t believe Tom and Jerry’s real names
- Come Hell or High Water, Mail Arrives Weekly in This Remote Canyon
- ‘Expect the unexpected’: Rare mammoth tusk recovered from ocean bottom
- Listen to Louis Armstrong Recite “’Twas The Night Before Christmas”
- How Old Is Zimbabwe’s Famed ‘Big Tree’?
- The Magician and the Suffragette: The Strange History of Sawing a Woman in Half
- Enter the Lair of an Enormous, Ancient, Predatory Worm
- The Forgotten ‘China Girls’ Hidden at the Beginning of Old Films
- Lincoln Memorial Undercroft: A cavernous three-story, 43,800-square-foot basement that was forgotten about for 60 years
If you see some important tech news that you feel we should share with our readers, please let us know and we’ll consider including it in our next post.
Photo by Uriel Soberanes